Thursday, July 23, 2015

July 6, 2015 Whidbey Island Washington to Grand Coulee, Wasington, 282 miles

You bet we were out of our room and to the ferry terminal by 6:00.  No way were we going to be late for the 6:30 ferry to Fort Casey, a pre-WWII fort (listed as to Coupeville, the only stop on this ferry).  

Fort Townsend sunrise

The sunrise  from the Port Townsend Ferry Terminal at 6:15 was beautiful.

Back to camp, we packed up and were on the road at 7:50.

The sky was hazy due to forest fires.  We heard they were burning near Walla Walla.  We followed the Skagitt River on Highway 2, the North Cascades Highway. Blueberry farms grew along the road way.  

Gorge Creek Falls, North Cascades National Park

I remembered lots of waterfalls along the roadway when I traveled in 1972 with my  sisiter-in-law Mary and Catherine and James.  They didn't amaze me as much this time, perhaps because of the dry winter, but there were some, along with glacier fed lake.

Colonial Peak and Pyramid Peak, Diablo Lake, North Cascades National Park

For 72 miles there were no decided to drive all the way to Grand Coulee.  The close to 100 degree temperatures once we began to leave the mountains inspired our decision.

Road descending Washington Pass, North Cascades National Park

The ranger had said that Washington Pass was famous, it was a beautiful drive.  Patches of Snow were on the north side of the mountain and thunderheads were moving in.

Camper at Columbia River Inn with Grand Coulee Dam Visitor Center in background

Because the temperature when we arrived in Grand Coulee at 6:00 was 97 degrees, we spent the night across the street from the Grand Coulee Dam at the Columbia River Inn. Our room was very comfortable room for $108.00 including tax.   We caught up on the news of the past week on TV and enjoyed a private shower!

Fusion Restaurant in Electric City was one of the recommendations the girl at the motel desk had given for dinner. It seemed like it belonged in West Sonoma County, what I would consider upscale for this town.  We shared a garden salad and a lamb gyro with two Arnold Palmer for about $20.00.  

We managed to stake out spots across the street at the dam for the laser show at 10, not hard since no one else was around.  The show was very dated, but we stuck it out.  Out and about until almost 11:00, a late night for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment